Monday, September 3, 2012

Rock n Roll Virginia Beach expos, beach and food oh my!

Headed down to VA Beach to run the Rock N Roll Half Marathon with Megan and Becky.  We got up early to avoid traffic and ended up rolling into the expo around 10:30 with little traffic worries.  Score! As always I look forward to the expo.  I am not sure why I love expos because I normally don't even buy anything.  I just love looking at all of the vendors and their goodies. 

This may turn out to be a new favorite shirt.  Love the green!

Who doesn't love Elvis??
 
We wondered around and ran into Charlie the Tuna
As you can tell Megan was ready to eat Charlie right there at the Expo!  Thankfully Charlie swam away before Megan could find her knife and fork in her swag bag. :) 

 
Also saw the Orange team from the Biggest Loser from a few seasons ago.  Fun stuff!  We ended up walking off the beach with him after the race.  Seemed really nice.  We had a brief conversation.  He has completed twenty two half marathons since the Biggest Loser and is ready to attempt a full marathon.  Good Luck to him!
 
I did end up buying some new compression sleeves.  I now am the owner of new black compression sleeves to complement my pink ones that I left at home. I think I am in love with compression after races.  My legs legs feel so much better after a long run.
 
After the expo we headed for some lunch and checked into the hotel.  Then of course we were beach bound!  We ended up in the room beside our friend Gary from run club.  Always nice to see friends on a destination race weekend.  We all enjoyed some sun and sand.  Gary has developed some weird radar for us teachers.  Every time we turned around there he was.  You would think with so many people around we wouldn't keep running into each other.  I am convinced he has a tracking device on one of us :) I am not normally a huge beach fan, but it was a nice day to lay out and swim in the ocean.   I was a bit paranoid that I was going to burn and then have to run 13.1 miles burnt..but turned out I really didn't have much to worry about on that front.  I must have sprayed the SPF on without missing a bunch of spots which is good. 
 
After the beach we headed back to the hotel and got ready for dinner.  Gary had found a pizza/pasta place and a bunch of runners were going to meet up there for some food.  I had some very yummy manicotti.  I now think I am going to give up eating pasta the night before a race.  Seems like every time I eat pasta before a race I don't feel the best race morning. 
 
So far a great night before a race.  Next up the actual race day recap...
 
 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am jealous you saw Charlie the Tuna at the race expo! I was there for a good hour, but I think I missed all of the really fun stuff.

As far as pasta the night before a race goes, I'd rather eat it two days before the race for that very same reason. I try to get a lot of protein and water and sleep the night before. If I can get two out of three, I know I'm doing something right.

It was awesome running into you at the race as well!! I am sure we will be crossing paths again soon :)

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

I have those CEP sleeves too and LOVE them!! Looks like a great expo--can't wait to hear about the race!